Only a handful of chains - McDonald's, Panera Bread, Starbucks and Subway - post calorie counts on their menus. Soon all chains with more than 20 outlets will have to do it too.
In the meantime, Market Watch has served up 10 of the highest calorie fast foods.
1. White Castle - 20 chicken rings, 1,760 calories
2. Burger King - Ultimate breakfast platter, 1,450 calories
3. McDonald's - Big breakfast with syrup and margarine, 1,350 calories
4. KFC - 10-piece bag of original recipe chicken bites, 1,300 calories
5. Wendy's - Dave's Hot ‘N Juicy 3/4 lb. triple patty with cheese, 1,120 calories
6. Panera Bread - Steak and white cheddar on a French baguette, 980 calories
7. Taco Bell - Volcanic nachos, 970 calories
8. Dunkin' Donuts - Frozen mocha coffee coolatta with cream, 730 calories
9. Subway - Mega melt on flatbread with egg, 660 calories
10. Pizza Hut - 14-inch large meat lover's pan pizza, 470 calories