I LOVE being on the radio, and it's all I ever wanted to do since I was a kid! So here I am living my dream, playing the music that I love! I'm married with 2 great kids. My son Jackson is 13 and my daughter Lauren is 10, and we're a tight little family unit! We go for walks and bike rides together, and we love to go for weekend trips. At our house, every Friday night is "Pizza and Star Trek Night" when we watch TV and have pizza delivered! I think everybody has one geeky obsession, and mine is the space program! No, I'm not a real astronaut, but I like to read about them , and have met most of my heroes, the US astronauts from the 60's and 70's.
I've worked in radio for 25 years, and have loved every minute of it! My wife's name is Lisa and we have two kids, ages 10 and 13. I'll be telling you a lot more about them on my show! We love to go for bike rides and weekend trips. We've gotten our kids hooked on old TV shows like "The Brady Bunch," "Star Trek," and "Batman," and every Friday night we have a pizza delivered and watch a great old show! I love to play hockey, and I read a lot about the US space program! Big fan of the 60's and 70's era astronauts! It was either astronaut or deejay for me, and, well, here I am!
First of all, please do not tell anyone here at the station that I've written this! I guarantee they'll have it taken down in about 2 minutes!
1. We're referred to around the building and between ourselves as "jocks," short for "disc jockeys."
2. Most of us don't get to pick the music we play, except for specialty request shows. Our "program director" or "music director" schedules the music in advance for us.
3. Our boss is called the program director. Some program directors also do an air-shift, but not always.
4. We don't play cd's or tapes any more. Everything, commercials, songs, jingles and "liners" are on a giant hard-drive, and we just look at a computer screen.
5. Sometimes we're not actually live. We can pre-record "breaks" (when we talk) or even whole shows in advance. Not always, but sometimes!
6. We're tired of some of the songs too! We don't have to actually like the music we play, but we do have to act like we do!
7. If we don't answer the phone, it's not because we don't want to talk to you, but because we're busy working on things like social media, blogging, or planning our next "break"
8. If you call and win a prize, we really want you to sound happy and excited. Yell and scream!
9. We don't like it when the same people win contests over and over again, and on stations all over town. We want everyone to be able to win.
10. Very few of us are making a ton of money, but all of us are passionate about our jobs. Yes, it's as fun as it sounds!